Wednesday 19 May 2010

Old McDonald's has a farm...


When I started this blog, I didn't really intend for every single post to be about cycling. I meant to focus on all sorts of subjects that interest me - it just so happens that I'm in a bit of a cycling phase right now, as you may have noticed.


My day job has little to do with cycling, alas, barring occasional involvement with our client BSkyB's cycling programme as part of its CSR campaign, 'The Bigger Picture'.


To clarify, I work for a big PR agency but as a sustainability consultant. I do still work with the media, like any good PR person, but increasingly I also advise big business on its environmental and social commitments - what should they be doing, when do they need to do it by, and what might happen if they don't? I'm a lucky chap - it's a fascinating job that treads the line between marketing, comms and, as sustainability climbs the corporate agenda, genuine management consultancy at times.


What has this got to do with my blog? Only that I hope to write on sustainability issues occasionally, which will hopefully provide some respite from all the cycling issues for both of us.


One story that has caught my eye this week concerns McDonald's plans to leverage (hate that word) its sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Golden Arches plans to use its involvement with London 2012 to promote the role of British suppliers and its commitment to responsible business. McDonald's British suppliers will provide meals for athletes and event staff, whilst certain farms will even throw their doors open to the public in an explicit display of eco-credentials.


The market niche McDonald's has carved for itself is a sticky one from a sustainability perspective but by drawing parallels between corporate responsibility, transparency of supply chain and nutrition on this most high-profile of sporting stages, the Golden Arches could be onto a winner. Critics argue that the link with sport is tenuous and I can see their point, but if McDonald's reckons it can make a credible link, all power to its elbow I say.


More info here, courtest of Marketing Week:

No comments:

Post a Comment