Monday 16 August 2010

Junk Miles


A couple of years ago, back when I was dabbling in the murky world of triathlons (I know, I know...), I used to hear a lot about the concept of 'junk miles'.  For the uninitiated, this term relates to mileage that might feel like training, but in reality is not of sufficient intensity to help you actually improve.  A waste of time and energy, in other words - time that would be much better spent doing something more fashionable/painful like interval sprints or hill reps. 

Let me provide an example.  Yesterday, I went on my now-customary 'long' weekend ride, down to the cycling mecca of Box Hill near Dorking.  Around 20 miles of pretty charmless A-Road to get down there, couple of laps of the hill itself, quick stop for some (brilliant) cake at the National Trust's summit cafe, then 20 slogtastic miles back up to town, almost all of it into a relentless headwind.  Totalled just over 50 miles (80-ish km) in around 3.5 hours.

Nothing to be particularly ashamed about, then - indeed, probably further than the vast majority of humans will ever cycle in one go, if we're honest.  And I was actually quite pleased to do two circuits of Box Hill this time - not a very difficult hill, but iconic in its own way, and that consistent sort of gradient reminiscent of a very miniature Alpine col.

Thing is, though, was what felt at the time like a half-decent effort actually little more than the dreaded junk miles?  I can feel a definite improvement in my fitness and physique since I started this whole cycling journey - my jeans are literally falling off me, which is a nice feeling.  A positive gut feeling, in fact.  But without hiring a professional trainer and going for those hideous VO2 max tests, how can this improvement be quantified?  I know, for instance, that I did the whole of yesterday's ride pretty much within my abilities.  At no stage, save that last slog home, did I feel anywhere near exhaustion.  Which shows how far I've come in one sense, yet also raises issues.  Surely, to maintain improvement, we should regularly push ourselves beyond what our bodies find comfortable, rather than sticking to the same old training routes? 

There are two schools of thought here, I think.  One which says you need to apply scientific training principles, regularly ride with people faster than you, actively hurt yourself quite often, in order to see real improvement.  The other, more zen-like approach just tells you to relax, be patient, enjoy your riding - improvement will creep up without you noticing at first.  I call this second view the Field of Dreams philosophy - if you build it, they will come.  AKA: I'm sure Fausto Coppi didn't worry about junk miles - he just rode as far as he could, as quickly as he could. 

The simple fact is that, whilst I can feel slow improvement, too often I still default to  pace that feels comfortable, rather than a pace that challenges me.  And I know I'd be dropped off the back mercilessly if I tried riding with any of the faster guys in my club.  And I definitely don't want to be that person who bimbles around sportive courses at touring pace for their whole lives.  I have ambitions - not to race per se, but at least to do the Etape one day without the broomwagon catching me. 

What I guess I'm trying to say is that I need some tips to break through my current plateau.  Answers on a postcard to the usual address...

1 comment:

  1. i know exactly how you're feeling. i reached that same plateau and did absolutely nothing. i just carried on bimbling.
    i need to find my mojo again soon. to set some goals and get my arse into gear achieving them.
    my jeans are going the other way...

    ReplyDelete