Friday 23 April 2010

An open and Shutt case?


I've been lamentably slow to the party here but wanted to put a shout out for a cool little company called Shutt Velo Rapide (http://www.shuttvr.com/).

They're a small, British start-up that creates stylish, retro-chic cycle clothing for a fraction of the price of certain other brands (yes, those ones).

My mate, erstwhile line manager and all-round cycling nut Pinny mentioned them the other night, hence my curiosity. Apparently the stuff looks as good in the flesh as it does on their website. And as one of the increasingly-ambitious Veloistes Gentils (http://lesveloistesgentils.wordpress.com/) he knows his oignons when it comes to bib shorts and the like.

Particularly impressed by Shutt's efforts to source as much of their clothing as possible from British suppliers - a factor that's important to me for a whole host of reasons, none of them remotely connected with the BNP. Think more about product miles, local skills, support for SMEs etc.
Basically sounds like Shutt is trying to do for cycle gear what my fave clothing label Albam is doing for menswear. Simple, well-crafted classics, with an emphasis on local sourcing, for a really good price. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the Rapha boys should be quaking in their boots just yet - but competition improves the species, right?
Cue a few sleepless nights in NW5?

Chapeau, messieurs!




1 comment:

  1. I have several shutt pieces of kit. Every single piece is awesome. Even the bloomin' bidons.

    ReplyDelete